Who is Remi Weeks? And wait, Temi Otedola can speak French?

 2 Movies that celebrate Africa, reviewed for you. 


Have you seen His House? 


It's a 2020 horror- thriller movie written and directed by Remi Weekes. Sounds Nigerian, doesn't he? Lot's of blogs record him to be British-Nigerian, but Wiki/Google have nothing to say about his nationality --yet. 

Remi on set of His House... That's some fiiiiiiiine a** black man. Flips nonexistent weave, goes back to writing. 🙄

They have a lot to say about his works though. And after seeing this movie which is Remi's first feature film, and totally spooked me out, I couldn't but recommend it to horror lovers.  

Wunmi Mosaku and Sope Dirisu as Rial and Bol.

It stars Wunmi Mosaku, Sope Dirisu (more Nigerians huh? I thought so too ) and Matt Smith. The story is of a refugee couple from a war torn South Sudan, struggling to adjust to their new life in an English town where they've been granted asylum under plenty of strict rules, but the past won't leave them alone.... And the future which involves trying to fit into the English society looks bleak. They receive racist comments from white AND black people alike. Husband and wife's opinions on their new life begins to clash and then the real nightmares begin; their house is haunted! 

Chucky + Anabelle, but black 😁😁

The story brings to life everything we've read, watched, or been told about baby dolls, witches, talking walls and native folklore. All these aspects are beautifully merged and expertly enacted by the splendid cast. The visions and flashbacks are out of this world. Try not to scream out loud watching this one. 

Hint: I had to finish watching it with my friends..... Or else. 😊

This movie is rated a whooping 100% by Rotten Tomatoes. (Wow, IKR..).

6.4 by IMDb (Its a pass mark 🙄)

72% by Metacritic (Whop! Whoop!!)

For me who can be extra critical about story, acting, and how everything adds up, I find no fault with this film. So I rate it a whopping 10/10. 🙌

It was released on Netflix on 30th October, 2020. Just in time for Halloween and the  spooky Friday the 13th (which was when I watched it! ) thank God, I didn't have nightmares 😁. My dreams are covered with the blood of Jesus. 🔥 😋

Have you seen this movie? What did you think? Please leave a rating in the comment section. 😉


Next up is Citation. Have you seen this movie?

I finally had to see what the fuss was about. It was all the OAU (Obafemi Awolowo University) students on my timeline could talk about this past week.

Citation is a 2020 Nigerian film directed by Kunle Afolayan, and written by Tunde Babalola. Released on Netflix on 31st October.

Staring in this widely acclaimed movie is  Jimmy Jean-Louis, Temi Otedola, and Bukunmi Oluwashina. 

The movie talks about sexual vices in the Nigerian university system, especially amongst lecturers and students.  The students try to defend themselves in the best way they know how, but will the University Institution will do their best to give their claims a fair hearing and sentence? This film is broadly based on true events. 

I won't be a spoiler goose, but I can tell you for a fact that Kunle Afolayan did his best to show off OAU in detail. Little wonder students and Alumni of the school feel a connection to the film. The fact that the stories are real events coming to life makes the subject matter closer to the heart.



Let's back up to the part where Temi Otedola speaks French! As a Francophile myself, I could listen to her speak French all day 😍, but her attempts at speaking Yoruba tho.... I'll take them as comic relief (speaking on behalf of all Yoruba speakers😁)
Who else noticed how really pretty she is? 
How could that Jimmy Jean-Louis character hurt a beauty like that? Sadly, evil really exists in the world. Phew.

To the ratings; Hype aside, I almost didn't watch this movie after seeing 3.5 - 5.7 general ratings. Especially when I spotted an accident scene that didn't really hold water in terms of reality at the beginning... But to be a true, woke Nigerian youth, I really needed to have an opinion of the movie and I did find myself enjoying it. 
So I'll rate it a 6/10 for originality of the story, Ingenuity of the characters.... Ini Edo stiiiiiilllll got it. That's Bad uni girl vibe to the core. Temi got that innocent uni girl down pat. Jimmy Jean-Louis was a good fit for his role. I can't forget Joke Silva and Ibukun Awosika's astute delivery on their parts. For this movie, good casting I must say. 

Have you seen Citation? What are your thoughts on this movie?

Let's gist in the comment Section.
Talk to you soon;
XoXo; RHD 💜💜💜

Comments

  1. Well i haven't seen the first movie but Cition was over hyped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see the first! Must watch Fam.😁

      Delete
  2. Well...I have watched the trailer for the first movie. I'm hoping to watch it real. As for the second, citation, I Neva watch am o but I will sha. I'm eager to hear Temi speak French. It's a must watch for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do lemme know what you think when you finally watch them. 😉

      Delete
  3. I have no idea about the first movie, but citation is the bomb, I mean for a non-french lover like me, I now crave to learn French, it sounded so sweet and soothing coming out of Temi's mouth, and trust me, the movie wasn't overrated, a little flaws, but it's world-class 👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww.... I love the fact that you're excited about learning French... You should actively pursue that.😉👌

      Delete
  4. The awareness☑️
    Good Acting❌
    Realistic story❌
    I score it 3/10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wawu I think you should watch it a second time this time with pop corn and a drink

      Delete
    2. You need to watch this movie in a more relaxed atmosphere. If you say the movie is over hyped I will understand but giving a canceled rating for acting and storyline makes me wonder if you really watched the movie. You should watch it and try to watch till the end. The acting and story line is what made the movie a must watch.

      Delete
  5. I believe the story line was brilliant, the camera frame were just simply amazing the acting for me was 50% I will give temi a pass cos it's her 1st time acting and for a big movie like citation she did well the language was really different and I did love it so much all in all I would give the movie a 70% rate i enjoyed the movie. Kunle afolayan is just a brilliant director

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure you're not a movie critique? Cos this is quite astute 😁

      Delete
    2. This person said my mind, just that he didn't add that my baby "Temi' is sooooooo cute❤️❤️😘, like killed ❤️. Mr Easy, what you are doing is unfair 😭😭😭😭

      Delete
  6. You are doing great really.. great review

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It will put a huge smile on my face if you subscribe to my blog

Popular Posts